Cause of $3M Lindon warehouse fire declared 'accidental'
The cause of a fire that gutted a landmark Lindon warehouse earlier this month has been declared to have been accidental.
Lindon police Chief Cody Cullimore said Tuesday that fire investigators, in partnership with his detectives, had completed their probe of the blaze two weeks ago that destroyed the 75-to-80-year-old Patch's Majestic Metals building at 475 N. State St.
"[We have] determined that the fire started in the warehouse [and] manufacturing area of the structure ... due to improper storage of combustible materials, such as boxes of product [and] merchandise, too close to radiant space heaters," Cullimore said.
He estimated that losses exceeded $3 million. The building was being leased to Ensign Group International, a furniture importer. The building was stacked high with cardboard boxes containing desks and chairs when flames and smoke began billowing from the warehouse about 4:30 a.m. on Feb. 6.
In addition to destroying the warehouse and damaging adjacent buildings, the fire damaged a 26,000-pound overhead crane that building owner Bob Patch,used in his metal working business. Flames also forced evacuation of two nearby homes one of which was destroyed.
In all, nine people were evacuated from their homes during the fire.
Cullimore said Ensign workers had been inside the building about 90 minutes before the fire broke out, but did not see anything unusual.
Patches Majestic Metals may be best-known for creating the iconic water tower at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. The structure is visible from nearby Interstate 15.