Delly's dagger sinks BYU as Saint Mary's earns 70-69 win in Provo
Published: January 17, 2013 09:33AM
Updated: January 17, 2013 12:12AM

Well, the 14,857 fans who stayed up late to watch BYU take on Saint Mary's at the Marriott Center got their money's worth tonight, even if all but a few went home unhappy.

SMC's Matthew Dellavedova hit a running 35-footer at the buzzer, just after Tyler Haws scored with 2.5 seconds left, and the Gaels edged the Cougars 70-69 in a game sure to have postseason ramifications.

It is past midnight, so I will pass along a couple comments, with the promise of more on this classic contest tomorrow.

BYU coach Dave Rose:

"We will have to look at the film to see if our guys got back on defense quick enough, but it looked like Dellavedova had a lot of space. Things happen pretty quick, and he had to make a pretty tough shot to win it."

(Actually, Anson Winder was on Delly pretty good, but the Aussie double-pumped and got off the shot cleanly. Replays showed the ball left his hand with .6 seconds left).

Rose's overall thoughts:

"I thought this was a great college basketball game. Two teams battling hard and players making plays. It was a physical game, and all the players responded to that. It all came down to a guy making a really tough play late in the game. We have to congratulate Saint Mary's. They played well, came in here and got a big win."

Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett:

"It was a little dramatic, but we will take it. Early on I thought we were getting good shots. We stayed with it. We didn't panic and that was the key."

Bennett on Dellavedova playing with four fouls:

"I don't think we have a chance to win the game if I don't have him in there down the stretch. There's no sense in saving him for the last three minutes. I would rather take a chance and let him stay in the game."

BYU's Tyler Haws on his emotions after seemingly making the game-winner, only to see it topped:

"I am kinda stunned. I am at a loss for words. I thought we had the game won, and Dellavedova hit a big shot, so we have to give him credit. We knew coming in that it was going to be a boxing match, and that's what it was for 40 minutes, back and forth. We have to give them a lot of credit. They are a good team."

BYU's Matt Carlino on the ending:

"That was a heckuva shot. Like Tyler [Haws] said, we have to give them credit. They made the shot, and they won. It is always hard when you lose like that."