Home » News

Torch sparks 2 alarm-fire house fire in Cottonwood Heights

Published January 13, 2013 7:24 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2013, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Cottonwood Heights man accidentally started a two-alarm fire at his home Sunday while using a propane torch to thaw out a frozen faucet on the back of the residence, fire officials said.

Flames from the torch got behind the stucco wall of the home, 8010 S. Royal Lane (2400 East), and set fire to the Styrofoam insulation, Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Mecham said.

The flames rapidly spread through the insulation and into the eaves. Firefighters had to take out a portion of the wall to make sure they had fully extinguished the blaze, Mecham said.

No one was injured, but the residents will be temporarily displaced while a family room wall is repaired, he said.

An initial damage estimate was not available Sunday.

The fire was reported about 3:45 p.m. and was out by 5:30 p.m.

A second alarm was called because the cold weather makes fighting the fire more difficult, Mecham said. Fire crews from Sandy and Murray assisted Unified Fire crews, he said.