Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Sandy duplex fire burns man, displaces 2 families

Published December 23, 2012 12:02 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Sandy man was hospitalized for burns on the top of his head and his back after the duplex he lived in caught fire Saturday afternoon and he ran inside to rescue his dog.

The fire was reported about 2:15 p.m. at 250 E. Julie Anna Drive (8295 South).

Investigators say the accidental fire started in the kitchen, either on the stove or in the oven, said Sandy Deputy Fire Chief Bruce Cline.

Fire officials did not immediately release the man's name but said it appeared he suffered first- and second-degree burns.

Cline said investigators believe the man left the house, but went back in to try and put out the fire with a hose and to rescue the dog.

The man's wife and the dog were not injured, Cline said.

The man was transported by medical helicopter to the University Hospital burn center in Salt Lake City. He was conscious and talking to his wife before the helicopter departed, Cline said.

Only one side of the two-story duplex suffered extensive damage. Firefighters were able to prevent the flames from reaching the building's second residence. Both families have been temporarily displaced by the fire, Cline said.

jdobner@sltrib.com