Legacy Recordings will release "West of Memphis: Voices For Justice," an album of music and songs inspired by the film, "West of Memphis," which chronicles the case of the West Memphis Three.
The album serves to raise awareness for the continuing fight for exoneration of the West Memphis Three.
"West of Memphis" is a documentary produced by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh (the Lord of the Rings trilogy), Amy Berg (Best Documentary Oscar nominee Deliver Us From Evil), with first-time producers Damien Echols (of the West Memphis Three) and Lorri Davis.
From the press releaseL
Starting with a searing examination of the police investigation into the 1993 murders of three eight-year-old boys in the small town of West Memphis, Arkansas, the film goes on to uncover new evidence surrounding the arrest and conviction of the other three victims of this shocking crime--Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley. All three were teenagers when they became the target of the police investigation for crimes they did not commit. Each of the West Memphis Three spent more than 18 years in prison while outside the gates, mounting evidence and testimony pointing to their innocence led to an outpouring of support, particularly from the music community and artists featured on this album such as Eddie Vedder, Henry Rollins, Natalie Maines, Marilyn Manson, Dave Navarro, and Patti Smith.
"Music has always played a huge role in my life. In my early years, it allowed me to escape the crushing poverty I was born into. Music took me out of myself and into a thousand other worlds. Then, when I was put on trial, it was music they used against me. My love of heavy metal was considered 'proof' that I was evil and a satanic murderer. And then, ultimately, it was music that helped to free me when friends and supporters came together to put on the Voices for Justice concert in Little Rock," said Damien Echols in a press release.
"West of Memphis" premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 21, 2012,
Much of the music heard in "West of Memphis" comes from an original score written and performed for the film by the Australian compositional team of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis,
The purchase of this album will in part directly benefit the West Memphis Three
The film opens In Los Angeles and New York On Christmas Day,
West of Memphis: Voices For Justice - track listing
1. Henry Rollins (feat. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis original score) - Damien Echols Death Row Letter Year 9
2. Natalie Maines - Mother
3. Lucinda Williams - Joy
4. Camp Freddy - The Jean Genie
5. Tonto's Giant Nuts feat. Johnny Depp & Bruce Witkin - Little Lion Man
6. Marilyn Manson - You're So Vain
7. Band of Horses - Dumpster World (Live)
8. Citizen Cope - DFW
9. Eddie Vedder - Satellite
10. Bill Carter - Anything Made of Paper
11. The White Buffalo - House of Pain
12. Bob Dylan - Ring Them Bells
13. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - West of Memphis Score Suite
14. Tonto's Giant Nuts feat. Johnny Depp (feat. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis original score) - Damien Echols Death Row Letter Year 16
15. Patti Smith - Wing (Recorded Live at Voices For Justice Benefit Concert - August 28, 2010)
DIGITAL ONLY BONUS TRACK
16. Bill Carter - Road to Nowhere