When the Sundance Film Festival’s competition slate drops — as it did on Wednesday — it’s always interesting to see the different things people get excited about. (And by people, The Cricket means the entertainment press.)
Here’s a sampling:
• The U.S. Dramatic competition films has female directors on eight of its 16 films, which is a record.
• The slate is already being sized up for the marketability of its films — with approving nods from the industry.
• Ooh, we get to see Harry Potter! Playing Allen Ginsberg!
• India will be well-represented at Sundance, with three films depicting facets of life in the world’s largest democracy.
• So will San Francisco, thanks to the Filmmaker360 program there.
• But, really, it all comes down to two things: Sex and comedy.
Now, imagine how much we’ll talk about once we actually see some of these movies.