Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Ogden police identify man killed during SWAT standoff

Published November 14, 2012 8:04 am

Ogden • Was Aaron Collier shot? By police — or himself?
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Ogden • Police on Tuesday released the identity of a man who died during weekend standoff that followed an exchange of gunfire with officers.

Ogden police Lt. Danielle Croyle on Tuesday said the dead man was 35-year-old Aaron Matthew Collier.

However, neither Croyle nor Weber County Attorney Dee Smith would confirm that Collier had died of a gunshot wound, and if so, whether his death came at the hands of police or was self-inflicted.

Smith said he would release further details only after receiving an official autopsy report from the state Medical Examiner's Office. Smith did confirm that the autopsy had been done on Monday, but he did not say when he expected to release the findings.

Police were called to the home in the 100 block of 4th Street about 2:30 a.m. Sunday on a report of domestic violence. When the officers were inside the home investigating, Collier allegedly fired at them, and they returned fire while retreating. Collier then barricaded himself inside, police said.

The SWAT team was called when Collier refused demands to come out and surrender. Police later entered the home and found him dead inside.

The officers involved have been placed on paid administrative leave pending review of the incident.

On Tuesday, no one answered the door of the home, in which there were bullet holes in street-facing windows.

A woman who keeps to herself lives at the home, and has two children, ages 4 and 6 months, according to a neighbor.

Utah court records show Collier had appeared before judges numerous times going back to 1995 on a variety of minor alcohol- and traffic-related offenses. However, in 1998 he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor cohabitant abuse, and was again accused of domestic violence in a 2009 petition for a protective order.

remims@sltrib.com