Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

E. SLC condos evacuated when carbon monoxide alarms go off

Published October 24, 2012 7:07 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

An east Salt Lake City condominium complex remained evacuated early Wednesday after firefighters found dangerous levels of carbon monoxide at the scene the night before.

Salt Lake City Fire Department spokesman Jasen Asay said no injuries were reported and efforts continued overnight by Salt Lake City Building Services officials to locate the source of what he described as "unhealthy high levels of carbon monoxide" detected at 159 E., 800 South, about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday.

"[Firefighters]evacuated all 14 units in the complex. A total of 17 occupants were displaced," Asay said.

An alarm system initially detected the gas, after which residents called 911.

The displaced condo dwellers reportedly were able to find temporary shelter with friends and relatives.

remims@sltrib.com