Three-alarm fire guts future Salt Lake City homeless facility
Published: September 16, 2012 06:35PM
Updated: January 7, 2013 11:31PM

A three-alarm fire Sunday gutted a Salt Lake City building that was to be turned into a transition facility for homeless young men.

The blaze at the old Camelot House, 556 S. 500 East, started about 7:30 a.m. and when firefighters arrived about three minutes later, flames and smoke were shooting from the roof, said Dan Walker, deputy chief for the Salt Lake City Fire Department.

It took fire crews about an hour to get the blaze under control. He said the structure did have sprinklers which helped protect parts of the building.

The building was unoccupied at the time and no one was injured.

He said the fire, which caused an estimated $80,000 to $100,000 in damage, was caused by overheated wiring in an electrical box. He said fire investigators weren’t sure what caused the wiring to fail.

A spokeswoman for Volunteers of America Utah reported that the organization had planned to turn the facility into a transition home for young homeless men and that the damage from Sunday’s blaze was going to delay the planned opening.

jstecklein@sltrib.com

Twitter @sltribjanelle