Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Salt Lake City firefighters praise boys for helping keep flames at bay

Published August 29, 2012 9:47 am

Fire • Boys sprayed water on blazing garbage cans until crews arrived.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Salt Lake City firefighters are crediting three boys for helping keep a small fire from getting out of control before crews arrived to douse it.

Fire Department Capt. Reed Stringham said firefighters were dispatched to the blaze near 900 East and Wilson Avenue (1780 South) at 3:34 p.m. Tuesday. They found James Higgins, 12, Dallen Unruh, 13, and Michael Unruh, 15, spraying water on two burning garbage cans.

The fire had also begun burning a corner of the home there as well as the home's deck. The boys first noticed the fire and quickly took action until the homeowner also assisted in fighting the flames.

Firefighters praised the boys for keeping the fire from causing major damage.

"Their quick thinking kept the fire from entering the home," Stringham said.

The cause of the fire was determined to have been a cigarette tossed near the garbage cans.

remims@sltrib.com