New Hampshire expands testing in hepatitis C outbreak case
Federal charges • Thirty people are believed to have contracted the illness from medical technician.
Published: July 24, 2012 12:19PM
Updated: July 24, 2012 12:20PM
image
This undated photo provided by the U.S. Attorney's Office in New Hampshire shows David Kwiatkowski, a former lab technician at Exeter, N.H., Hospital, arrested at a hospital in Massachusetts where he is receiving medical treatment. Kwiatkowski, originally from Michigan, was charged Thursday, July 19, 2012, with causing a hepatitis C outbreak involving at least 30 patients who were treated at Exeter Hospital's cardiac catheterization lab. (AP Photo/U.S. Attorney's Office)

Concord, N.H. • New Hampshire health officials are casting a wider net as they look for people who may have contracted hepatitis C from a traveling medical technician.

Public health director Jose Montero said Tuesday that testing is being recommended for anyone who had surgery at Exeter Hospital or was admitted to the intensive care unit between April 1, 2011, and May 25, 2012. He says the testing is being expanded because the person believed to be responsible for the outbreak had access to those areas.

Officials previously had asked anyone treated at the hospital’s cardiac catheterization lab since October 2010 to get tested.

David Kwiatkowski was charged last week with federal drug crimes. Authorities say he’s worked in at least six states.

Thirty people are believed to have contracted the illness from Kwiatkowski.