Home » News

Ogden hikers learn valuable lesson after Life Flight rescue

Published July 12, 2012 8:34 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

One man was rescued from Ben Lomond Peak by Life Flight helicopter after being injured in a hike in Weber County on Wednesday night.

The local church group he was with in North Ogden learned the hard way to stay together, not take short cuts and use the buddy system.

At about 3 p.m., police received a call about five people missing and lost near the Ben Lomond Peak area, according to Weber County's sheriff's Sgt. Ryon Hadley. The church group out of North Ogden had been camping in the Cutler Flats area of North Fork Park in Liberty when they decided to hike the peak.

The large group hiked to the peak in the morning and as they headed down a group of two adults — 22 and 53 years old — and three juveniles decided to split off and take a short cut.

On the way down, the 53-year-old injured his leg and ankle and became dehydrated, Hadley said. The four others went for help but got lost.

After they called for help by cell phone, a Life Flight helicopter using cell phone coordinates located the four near some cliffs on the back side of the Ben Lomond Peak area and hoisted them individually off the mountain, Hadley said.

A search and rescue ground crew located the injured man with the help of a whistle he was blowing. Once he was found, the helicopter also hoisted him off the mountain.

By 10 p.m., the injured man was taken by private vehicle to McKay-Dee Hospital.

Hadley said the incident is an example of why hikers should "take water, take phones and stick together."

Basic hiking and outdoor skills would have averted the entire problem, he said.

"There were a few safety rules that were altered that resulted in this five-hour operation we did up there tonight," Hadley said.


Twitter: @CimCity