Fireworks, boys playing with lighter spark two Ogden fires

By Jessica Miller

The Salt Lake Tribune

Published: June 26, 2012 10:10AM
Updated: June 26, 2012 07:37PM

Lighters and fireworks were to blame for two grass fires that burned 3 acres in Ogden this week.

The first fire was sparked just after 3 p.m. Monday near 2450 James Brown Drive, which is located at Fort Buenaventura. Ogden fire officials said the blaze was started by two boys playing with a lighter. The fire was contained to a half acre, officials said. One firefighter suffered a broken arm from a fall while fighting the fire. Officials say this was the third fire in that area this year.

A second fire near Sullivan Road and Jackson Avenue was reported Monday at 7:40 p.m. The fire burned about 2½ acres. Two homes had minor damage. Four homes were threatened in the blaze, which was sparked by fireworks at a home near the 900 block of Patterson Street.

Twenty firefighters from Ogden, South Ogden and State Lands and Forestry were able to contain the fire within about 30 minutes, officials said. No injuries were reported in that fire.

jmiller@sltrib.com

Twitter: @jm_miller