Home » News

Prep football: Cottonwood High coach Josh Lyman resigns

Published May 30, 2012 6:32 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Cottonwood football coach and teacher Josh Lyman resigned Wednesday morning amid a Granite School District investigation into allegations that he had "inappropriate contact" with a female student.

The Granite School District released a statement late Wednesday morning that said, "[Lyman's] resignation effectively ends our ongoing investigation into the allegations against Mr. Lyman as he is no longer our employee."

Lyman's attorney, Ed Brass, said the coach resigned to "pursue other employment opportunities" and declined to say whether Lyman expected to be fired as a result of the investigation.

"They have closed their investigation," Brass said, "and I don't think it would be fair for me to comment on a closed investigation."

On April 30, Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill declined to file charges against Lyman, saying in a letter that the DA's office found "evidence of contact between the student and Lyman" but that it was not criminal. Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said the student was 18.

Earlier in the investigation, Horseley said the allegations were not brought by the woman.

Brass previously said there was "no contact between the two of them, consensual or otherwise."

On Wednesday, he declined to comment further on Lyman's future plans, saying only that he would "pursue another job opportunity that has become open in the last few weeks."

Lyman, 32, was placed on paid administrative leave on April 18.

According to records obtained by The Tribune through a Government Records Access and Management Act request, district police interviewed 17 witnesses — most students or former students — on April 23 and April 24.

The records state that allegations against Lyman initially emerged in February. At the time, the district did not find evidence corroborating the accusation. However, on April 12, the district administration received further information in the case that led administrators to reopen the investigation. In addition to the witness labeled in the records as "victim/student," a second witness was labeled "victim/former student," indicating that Lyman was being investigated for contact with more than one woman.

The former University of Utah receiver served as Cottonwood's head football coach for the past two seasons, accumulating a 15-6 record. Horseley said the district would actively pursue hiring a new coach.

"The last time I saw [Lyman] I think he was at peace with his decision," Brass said. "He's hopeful that he's going to get this [job] opportunity. If it doesn't work out he's certainly going to be looking for work elsewhere. He's an optimistic, positive guy."


Twitter: @oramb