- Teaching bigotry: Too many gay students are victims - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
You’ve got to be taught before it’s too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You’ve got to be carefully taught!
— Rodgers and Hammerstein, from "South Pacific"
Bigotry, as the musical’s Lt. Cable said, is "not born in you ... it happens after you’re born." In Utah, as in other parts of the country, expressions among teenagers of the bigotry they see in their parents and other adults all too often end tragically for gay and lesbian students.
A gay young man from Morgan County, Jack Denton Reese, whose story of being bullied was told to an audience at the screening of a documentary on bullying in Ogden a week ago, committed suicide the day before. His death is one of many among bullied gay and lesbian teens. It’s time parents, teachers and school officials put a stop to it. ...
- We must stop bullying. It starts here. And it starts now. - Sioux City (Iowa) Journal Editorial. Page One. All of Page One.
- Communities must take measures to deal with bullying - Mason City (Iowa) Globe-Gazette Editorial
- Law to curb bullying in Ontario schools is a victim of political games - Toronto Star Editorial
... The days when schoolyard bullying was considered an unfortunate rite of childhood are long over. Bullying is a cruel practice that has far-reaching consequences for the victims and even for the bullies themselves. ...
And children are not the only victims:
- A “Huge Win” for Homophobia - Andrew Rosenthal, The New York Times
On Tuesday Richard Grenell, an openly gay spokesman for the Romney campaign, resigned — or, more accurately, was hounded out of town by social conservatives. And the religious right isn’t taking this victory sitting down. Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association, who previously said that hiring Mr. Grenell was like telling the “pro-family community” to “drop dead,” gleefully relayed the news on his radio broadcast yesterday. ...
- The lonely plight of the gay Republican - Andrew Sullivan, The Daily Beast
...what do Republicans call a gay man with neoconservative passion, a committed relationship and personal courage?