Home » News

Cottonwood assistant football coach charged with felony assault

Published April 24, 2012 8:10 am

Prep football • Former Ogden head coach Eyre involved in incident at party.
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A second Cottonwood High School teacher and football coach is facing termination after he was charged with felony aggravated assault in an alleged fight at a party last month in Salt Lake City.

The charge against Eric Eyre, 30, stems from a March 24 party near 2000 South and 500 East where an argument over spilled alcohol escalated into a fight, according to charges filed Monday. Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said the district had not been notified of the charges, but that conviction would be grounds for dismissal.

Last week, head coach Josh Lyman, 32, was placed on paid administrative leave after allegations surfaced that he had "inappropriate contact" with an underage female student.

"We find this latest information that's now been revealed to us to be disturbing considering the ongoing situation and investigation of the head coach," Horsley said.

Eyre, a former head coach at Ogden High School, joined Cottonwood football in the fall as a general assistant, and primarily helped with players in the weight room. He teaches physical education and biology at Cottonwood, according to Horsley.

According to charging documents, two men got into an argument over spilled alcohol. One of the men was asked to leave the party; Eyre, his friend, was asked to leave as well.

Eyre then punched the man his friend was arguing with, "knocking him unconscious and then repeatedly hitting [his] head against the ground," the charge states.

The victim awoke with a concussion and three chipped teeth, and he received stitches to his forehead and chin, investigators wrote.

One guest identified Eyre in a photo lineup as the man who delivered 10 "solid punches" to the victim's head, police wrote.

Eyre spent two years as Ogden's head coach through 2009, accumulating an 11-10 record. He left after the 2009 season for a job at Madison High School in Rexburg, Idaho. According to media reports from 2009, Eyre served a two-game suspension following a confrontation with Ogden High School's band director over use of the football field.