Home » News

IRS: Filing extension is an option, but paying is not

Published April 11, 2012 8:06 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

Any taxpayer unable to meet Tuesday's tax filing deadline can electronically file for an automatic six-month extension, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

The IRS said the easiest and quickest way to get an extension is online through its "Free File" link at IRS.gov.

Filing Form 4868 automatically gives taxpayers until Oct. 15 to file a return. "This is an extension of time to file, not an extension of time to pay," the IRS noted in a statement.

Taxpayers must estimate their tax liability on the form and should pay any amount due. E-pay is available.

The Salt Lake Tribune