Home » News

Can't file by April 17? The IRS offers options

Published April 5, 2012 9:10 pm

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The Internal Revenue Service said it wants to remind taxpayers that there are quick and easy solutions available if they cannot file their tax returns on time.

Its message: Don't panic.

Tax-filing extensions are available to those who need more time to finish their returns. Remember, though, the IRS is only granting an extension of time to file — not an extension to pay any taxes that are owed.

However, it noted that taxpayers who are having trouble paying what they owe usually qualify for payment plans and other relief.

In March, for example, the IRS as part of its "Fresh Start" initiative announced penalty relief for unemployed taxpayers and the self-employed whose incomes have dropped. Go to http://1.usa.gov/ABWiZ8 for more information.

Regardless, taxpayers will avoid stiff penalties if they file either a regular income tax return or a request for a tax-filing extension by this year's April 17 deadline, the IRS said.

And it emphasizes that taxpayers should file, even if they can't pay the full amount due. —

Tax help on YouTube

The Internal Revenue Service is offering a wide range of videos on YouTube to help taxpayers with their returns. Among the hot topics:

Need more time to file your tax return?

Last-minute tax tips

IRS tax payment options

Owe taxes but can't pay?

The videos are available at http://www.youtube.com/IRSVideos. They are available in English, Spanish and American Sign Language.