An Ogden man and his roommate escaped unharmed after their wood-burning stove caused the attic to go up in flames early Saturday morning.
Ogden City Fire Battalion Chief Corey Barton said the fire started at 1065 North St. about 1:40 a.m. and did about $35,000 in damage. The home is now uninhabitable. The men found living arrangements with friends and family in the area.
Barton said one of the male roommates started a fire in the woodstove just before going to bed. The stove was installed in an addition built in the back of the house with a flue pipe going through the attic and out the roof. Somehow the fire burned through the attic and throughout the house, Barton said, adding a note of caution: “Make sure your wood stoves are in working condition.”
Barton said crews had to go back around 8:30 a.m. because the fire had reignited in one of the many layers of insulation in the attic.
There were no injuries in the fire. The cause has been ruled accidental.