Quantcast
Home » News
Home » News

Wellington family escapes flames; dog, puppies do not

Published February 23, 2012 11:25 am

This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2012, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A Wellington family of four was without a home Thursday, the day after flames destroyed their residence in the Carbon County town.

Carbon County Sheriff James Cordova said the family, alerted by smoke alarms, escaped unhurt. However, a mother dog and her newborn puppies did not, perishing in the blaze.

Investigators believe the 12:35 a.m. fire at 2266 E. 5700 South in Wellington was sparked by a space heater the family had left on in their garage to keep the dog and its puppies warm through the night.

Cordova said the home was fully engulfed in flames when his deputies and firefighters arrived on the scene.

The damage estimate was still being developed Thursday, but the sheriff said the home was a total loss.

remims@sltrib.com