- Abortion waiting: Proposal insults Utah women - Salt Lake Tribune Editorial
Rep. Steve Eliason, R-Sandy, is leading an effort in the Legislature to extend the waiting period prior to an abortion from 24 hours to 72. The presumption that underlies this bill is that women who seek an abortion are incompetent, ignorant or immoral. Given more time, they would make a different decision. That’s an outrageous assumption.
Utah’s abortion law already requires that a woman seeking an abortion be provided detailed information about the medical consequences to herself and the fetus, and the alternatives available for the payment of her medical expenses and adoption should she decide to carry the pregnancy to term. The law requires that this information be provided her in a face-to-face consultation at least 24 hours prior to the procedure.
This could be a large amount of information to consider in a single day. However, nothing in the law prevents a woman from taking more time to consider her options.
On the other hand, most women will have agonized over the decision to seek an abortion long before they see an abortion provider. For those women, who already are well-informed and have considered this emotionally wrenching decision in advance, imposing a 72-hour waiting period could be unnecessarily inconvenient, if not cruel. ...
- Richmond's focus turns to abortion - Virginian-Pilot Editorial
Republican leaders insisted at the start of the General Assembly session that they wanted to focus their new control of both houses on passing measures to boost the economy and increase jobs across the commonwealth.
But in the past three weeks, action in Richmond has revealed some members of the party are as focused as ever on familiar divisive social issues, to the exclusion of much else. ...
- Which GOP?: Republicans for personal freedom are eager to enter the bedroom - Daily Astorian (Ore.) Editorial
- Virginia GOP shows its hypocritical side on abortion - Washington Post Editorial
- Both sides agree: Decline in abortions is a good thing - Harrisburg (Penn.) Patriot-News Editorial
- Meeting in the middle on abortion - Oregonian Editorial