West Valley firefighters rescue woman from burning home
Published: February 9, 2012 07:06AM
Updated: February 8, 2012 11:21AM

Firefighters used a ladder to rescue a trapped woman from the second floor of a burning West Valley City home late Tuesday.

West Valley City Fire Battalion Chief Bob Fitzgerald said the blaze at 4536 S. 4920 West was reported just before 10 p.m. Crews arrived to find the fire “well under way” after an electrical arc from a car undergoing repairs ignited gasoline spilled near the vehicle in the home’s garage.

A man and three children escaped uninjured, but the woman — the man’s fiancee — was trapped in the upstairs bedroom as flames approached.

“A ladder was brought up to the bedroom window and she was taken down. We transported her (to the hospital) as a precaution for smoke inhalation,” Fitzgerald said, adding that the woman was treated and released.

A damage estimate was not immediately available, but losses were believed to be extensive.

remims@sltrib.com