Winners of the 2010 William and Pat Child “Excellence in Teaching” Awards (which include $1,000):
• Ginger Brakke, sixth-grade teacher at Grant Elementary School, Murray City School District
• Susan Ericksen Bruschke, kindergarten teacher at Heritage Elementary School, Washington County School District
• Kari Cahoon, third-grade teacher at Dilworth Elementary School, Salt Lake City School District
• Leslie DeMille, welding instructor at the Canyons Technical Education Center, Canyons School District
• Steven Drott, science teacher at Woods Cross High School, Davis County School District
• Kodey Hughes, district superintendent and band instructor at Tintic High School, Tintic School District
• Amy Lasater, first-grade teacher at Arrowhead Elementary School, Washington County School District
• Janet Wayman, Career and Technical Education instructor at Riverview Junior High School, Murray City School District
• Michelle Willden, drama teacher at Bingham High School, Jordan School District
• Katherine Wood, U.S. history and government teacher at Millcreek High School, Washington County School District
Other awards include (as quoted from the press release):
• UEA Honor Roll Award to Senator Robert F. Bennett for distinguishing himself as a senior statesman and a friend of public education. This award is presented to a non-educator who has provided outstanding service to public education.
• Charles E. Bennett Human and Civil Rights Award to Scott Berryessa for his efforts to raise funds and assist at-risk students as president of the UEA Children at Risk Foundation for the past eight years. This award is presented to an individual who has engaged in human and civil rights activities that have benefited education and had communitywide impact.