For the Record: Dad charged after coach assaulted

Published September 25, 2008 3:23 am
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2008, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

The father of a high school football player who smashed his son's assistant coach in the face with a helmet, breaking his jaw, was charged Wednesday with aggravated assault. The charge against Tumua Fagota Siaumau, 46, of Anchorage, Alaska, is a second-degree felony. The alleged assault occurred about 9:30 p.m. Friday at Highland High School after a game against Granger High School, charging documents state. When the assistant coach asked Siaumau if he had permission to take his son home instead of putting him on the school bus with the rest of the team, an argument apparently began. That's when Siaumau allegedly used his son's helmet to hit the coach in the head, breaking his jaw and knocking him unconscious. Siaumau was arrested and his bail was set at $50,000.

One of Utah's Most Wanted nabbed

West Valley City police arrested one of Utah's Most Wanted on Tuesday night after they twice cordoned off neighborhoods and combed an area for two hours seeking the fugitive. Jerry Herzet, 43, was wanted for violating his parole and has an extensive criminal history, according to a court search. Herzet has been convicted of theft, drug possession and aggravated burglary. Acting on a tip, police arrested Herzet near 4800 West and 3500 South, about a block from where he had been living. He was able to slip through an initial police perimeter, but was caught after officers cordoned off a second area.

Box Elder County man rolls ATV, dies

An Ogden man has died after an all-terrain vehicle accident in Box Elder County. At about 7 p.m. Sept. 20, Kevin C. Glantz, a 46-year-old salesman for Sunstate Equipment, was riding an ATV near the Willard Basin area outside Mantua when the vehicle rolled, according to the Utah State Parks and Recreation.

CPR was performed at the scene and emergency crews responded, but the remote location delayed medical helicopters. Glantz died at the scene.

Announcement of death penalty delayed

Prosecutors agreed Wednesday to wait another two months before announcing whether they intend to seek the death penalty in David Ragsdale's capital murder case. Ragsdale recently dismissed his private attorney in favor of representation by court-appointed public defenders who asked for the extension. The new defense team needs a good idea of the nature and quality of the prosecution's case before deciding whether to take the case to trial, explained prosecutor Dave Sturgill. Ragsdale is accused of shooting his estranged wife to death at point-blank range in the parking lot of her Lehi church building this January. The new deadline is Dec. 1, with a pre-trial conference set for Nov. 26.

Reader comments on sltrib.com are the opinions of the writer, not The Salt Lake Tribune. We will delete comments containing obscenities, personal attacks and inappropriate or offensive remarks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. If you see an objectionable comment, please alert us by clicking the arrow on the upper right side of the comment and selecting "Flag comment as inappropriate". If you've recently registered with Disqus or aren't seeing your comments immediately, you may need to verify your email address. To do so, visit disqus.com/account.
See more about comments here.
comments powered by Disqus