Quantcast
Get breaking news alerts via email

Click here to manage your alerts
Milford man burned pouring fuel on fire
This is an archived article that was published on sltrib.com in 2010, and information in the article may be outdated. It is provided only for personal research purposes and may not be reprinted.

A 38-year-old Milford man was burned over 60 percent of his body when a gas can he was using at a fire pit exploded.

Beaver County Sheriff Cameron M. Noel said Jason McDermott was in the backyard of his house in Milford with friends and family just after midnight Saturday when the fire in a fire pit started to die down.

To revive the fire, McDermott grabbed what he thought was a can with diesel fuel in it, but apparently it also contained some gasoline, said Noel.

When McDermott poured the fuel on the flames, vapors inside the can ignited and caused it to explode.

Noel said it took a couple of minutes for people to smother the flames and pour water on McDermott, who suffered third- and fourth-degree burns.

Noel said diesel fuel, while flammable, is not as volatile as gasoline.

McDermott was taken to the Milford Hospital and later flown to the burn unit at University Hospital in Salt Lake City where he remained Monday, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

Article Tools

 Print Friendly
 
  • Search Obituaries
  • Place an Obituary

  • Search Cars
  • Search Homes
  • Search Jobs
  • Search Marketplace
  • Search Legal Notices

  • Other Services
  • Advertise With Us
  • Subscribe to the Newspaper
  • Login to the Electronic Edition
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Contact a newsroom staff member
  • Access the Trib Archives
  • Privacy Policy
  • Missing your paper? Need to place your paper on vacation hold? For this and any other subscription related needs, click here or call 801.204.6100.