Days of '47 Rodeo: Wright brothers ride together through busy season
West Valley City » Cody Wright didn't have time for small talk after finishing Saturday's saddle bronc riding competition at the Days of '47 Rodeo.
The next rodeo, Fiesta Days, awaited about an hour south the same evening in Spanish Fork. It was to be another in a long list of rodeos for Wright, the defending world champion.
Wright, who competed in the Ogden Pioneer Days Rodeo on Friday, will ride in rodeos in Riverton, Wyo. (Monday), Hill City, Kan. (Tuesday), Dodge City, Kan. (Wednesday), Eagle, Colo. (Thursday), Great Falls, Mont. (Friday) and Heber City (Saturday).
Fortunately for Wright, he'll have his brothers to keep him company for the entire road trip.
Wright, 32, and younger brothers Jesse, Alex and Calvin rode in the saddle bronc riding competition on the final day of the Days of '47 Rodeo at the E Center. Cody Wright finished third in the go-round with a score of 76, while Alex finished fourth with a 75. Jesse and Calvin both received no scores after being bucked off their horses.
Jesse and Alex later competed with Cody and Jesse's twin, Jake, at Fiesta Days, and the three will be traveling partners for next week.
Calvin, the second-oldest brother, will sit out the remainder of the road trip.
Cody Wright, the oldest brother, appreciates the extra support.
"It's been really neat," said Wright, who lives in Milford. "I've kind of been hoping for this for a long time. Jesse is 20, Alex is 21, and they've just kind of started getting going; they've been in college. We've been entering together, they're going everywhere I am, and they've been doing good."
The Wright entourage is short of brothers Spencer and Stuart.
Spencer, also a saddle bronc rider, competed at the National High School Finals Rodeo, which ended Saturday. Stuart, the youngest brother, is 12, but "it's only a matter of time" before he starts riding broncs, Cody Wright said.
Jake and Calvin, however, don't compete in as many professional rodeos as their brothers. They prefer to ride mostly at Utah rodeos.
"They're just more gung-ho about it than I am," said Calvin Wright, who lives in Laverkin. "I've just been working and running cows with my dad for the last couple of years."
"I [usually] don't go to their rodeos, unless I'm there or [the rodeos] are real close. I just kind of get the scouting report on how they're doing from the rest of the family. It's hard to beat it out of them, unless you're with them."
So far, it's been a solid year for the Wright brothers. Cody has claimed the saddle bronc titles at three rodeos, including the Fort Herriman Memorial PRCA Rodeo in Herriman. Jesse is the leading contender for Rookie of the Year honors, and Alex is No. 4 in the rookie standings.
Although Calvin won't be joining Cody, Jesse and Alex for their lengthy road trip, he wouldn't mind hitting the road with them again.
"I like it," he said. "I'd just as soon go with my brothers than anybody else."
Saddle bronc riding
1. Elliot French (Hollister, Calif.), 86; 2t. Chad Ferley (Oelrichs, S.D.), 84; 2t. Rusty Allen (Eagle Mountain), 84
Steer wrestling (aggregate)
1. Jake Rinehart (Highmore, S.D.), 8.0; 2. Casey Martin (Sulphur, La.), 8.1; 3. (tie) K.C. Jones (Decatur, Texas), 8.4; 3t. Jason Miller (Lance Creek, Wyo.), 8.4; 3t. Baillie Denver Milan (Cochrane, Alberta), 8.4
Tie down roping (aggregate)
1. Bubba Paschal (La Porte, Texas), 15.8; 2. Hunter Herrin (Apache, Okla.), 15.9; 3. Clif Cooper (Decatur, Texas), 16.2
1. Tilden Hooper (Carthage, Texas), 84; 2. (tie) Caleb Bennett (Morgan, Texas), 82; 2t. Clint Cannon (Waller, Texas) 82; 2t. Cody DeMers (Kimberly, Idaho) 82
1. Christina Richman (Glendora, Calif.), 13.40; 2. Sue Smith (Blackfoot, Idaho), 13.48; 3. Tim Lickley (Jerome, Idaho), 13.54
Team roping (aggregate)
1. Ralph Gunter (McCammon, Idaho) and Dallen Gunter (McCammon, Idaho), 11.7; 2. Chad Masters (Clarksville, Tenn.) and Jade Corkill (Fallon, Nev.), 12.1; 3. Jake Cooper (Monument, N.M.) and Jim Ross Cooper (Monument, N.M.), 13.3
1. Alex Dudley (Salem), 84; 2. Chris Roundy (Panguitch), 83; 3. Tyler Willis (Wheatland, Wyo.), 82
It's the busy season for professional rodeo riders. Take a look at Cody Wright's schedule for the week:
Monday » Riverton, Wyo.
Tuesdsay » Hill City, Kan.
Wednesday » Dodge City, Kan.
Thursday » Eagle, Colo.
Friday » Great Falls, Mont.
Saturday » Heber City
See more about comments here.