Ten things sure to happen this football season:
1. BYU's defensive secondary will get lit up by Sam Bradford, and will suffer from time to time at the hands of other competent passers.
2. Stevenson Sylvester will scare the daylights out of opponents.
3. Max Hall will roll up enormous numbers, single-season stats that will compare favorably with past Cougar greats.
4. Dennis Pitta will be Hall's security blanket.
5. Matt Reynolds will establish himself as an NFL talent in the making.
6. Utah will finish with a worse record than it had last year.
7. LaVell Edwards Stadium will be full to the brim when Florida State visits.
8. Bronco Mendenhall will use the following words in postgame remarks: manifestation, higher level of execution, spirit, honor, tradition, position mastery, pride cycle, accountability.
9. Mendenhall will not use the following words at any time: quest for perfection.
10. Kyle Whittingham will not use the words: As Grandma used to say, "Piss on 'em."
Ten things likely to happen this football season:
1. Robert Johnson will lead the Mountain West in interceptions.
2. Harvey Unga will get at least 1,000 yards rushing and up to 500 yards receiving.
3. Matt Asiata will rush for at least 1,200 yards.
4. BYU's offensive line will allow too many sacks in a loss to Oklahoma, and, afterward, Mendenhall will use the words: teachable moment.
5. Koa Misi, if he stays healthy, will be a beast on the Utes' defensive front.
6. Jan Jorgensen will be a beast on the Cougars' defensive front.
7. No matter who Utah coaches pick as their starter at quarterback, the other QB will get a shot somewhere along the line.
8. Dave Schramm will take more heat than Kalani Sitake.
9. BCS puppets and apologists will use BYU's loss to Oklahoma as an excuse to diminish what Utah did to Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.
10. Oklahoma will be better this year than Alabama was last year.
Ten things that might happen this football season:
1. BYU will go 2-2 against Oklahoma, FSU, TCU, and Utah.
2. The Cougars will finally lose a game at home.
3. Corbin Louks will be missed by the Utes.
4. Sean Smith will be missed by the Utes.
5. BYU will go to a different bowl than the Vegas.
6. Robert Anae will adjust his game plans on the fly - once or twice.
7. A BYU player will leave the program for personal reasons.
8. Terrance Cain will badly under-throw David Reed on numerous deep balls.
9. Jordan Wynn will badly under-throw David Reed on numerous deep balls.
10. McKay Jacobson will return a kick or punt for a touchdown.
Ten things unlikely to happen this football season:
1. BYU will at last bust the BCS.
2. Utah will legitimately sell out every home game.
3. Brian Johnson will be forgotten.
4. Louie Sakoda will be forgotten.
5. The Cougar D will comfortably handle spread offenses.
6. Hall will win the Heisman.
7. Utah will blow out the Ducks at Eugene.
8. BYU's national championship will be ignored in its 25th anniversary season.
9. Hall will secure the ball at all times while being sacked.
10. Ute fans will root for BYU when the Cougars are playing out-of-conference opponents for the good of the Mountain West.
Ten things sure not to happen this football season:
1. Whittingham will call for an onside kick, up 43-0 on a league foe.
2. Nobody will complain about the Mountain West's TV deal.
3. Cain will win the Heisman.
4. Wynn will win the Heisman.
5. Groundskeepers at Edwards Stadium will cut the new grass low to keep the surface lightning-quick for all the Cougar speedsters.
6. Parking will be a breeze for everyone at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
7. BYU will shut out the Sooners.
8. Andy Ludwig will be missed.
9. Craig Thompson will get a standing-O from the crowds at RES and LES.
10. BYU fans will stay mum, never bragging, about the Cougars' 2010 recruiting class. Jake Who?
GORDON MONSON hosts "The Monson and Graham Show" weekdays from 2-6 p.m. on 1280 AM The Zone. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.