And the list of people interviewed for the docu-series is impressive — it includes Judd Apatow, Sen. Al Franken, Margaret Cho, Samantha Bee, Kathy Griffin, George Lopez, Keegan-Michael Key, Dick Gregory, Patton Oswalt, Dick Cavett, Ali Wong and W. Kamau Bell.
What the producers set out to do was put together "a little bit of a different treatment on comedy," said executive producer Todd Milliner. "There's so much heart in this series that you end up a little winded on a couple of these episodes. Especially the dark side. You realize that a lot of comedy comes from pain. A lot of times comedy and heart make each other better."
"We called it 'The History of Comedy,' but we should have called it 'A Serious Look at Comedy,' " Herzog said. "It really is a serious look at comedy. You laugh, but you also know where the joke came from."
Elsewhere on TV …
• "Grey's Anatomy" (7 p.m., ABC/Ch. 4): Bailey must make a tough decision when an attending refuses to work with Eliza.
• "Superstore" (7 p.m., NBC/Ch. 5): Amy and Glenn learn what happens when you try to force love; Jonah tries to catch a shoplifter.
• "MasterChef Junior" (7 p.m., Fox/Ch. 13): After being split into four groups, the kids get started.
• "Supernatural" (7 p.m., CW/Ch. 30): Sam enlists Rowena's help to track down a powerful family of witches after Dean gets hit by a spell that is erasing his memory.
• "Project Runway Junior" (7 and 9 p.m., Lifetime): The designers must create an editorial look inspired by street art murals.
• Women's college basketball: Pepperdine at BYU (7 p.m., BYUtv); Washington State at Utah (7 p.m., P12N)
• Men's college basketball: Washington State at Utah (7 p.m., P12N); San Francisco at BYU (9 p.m., ESPNU)
• NBA (7 p.m., ROOT): Utah Jazz at Dallas Mavericks
• "The Great Indoors" (7:30 p.m., CBS/Ch. 2): Jack insults Brooke's fiancé at the couple's re-engagement party.
• "Powerless" (7:30 p.m., NBC/Ch. 5): Emily's team is obsessed with Fantasy Super Hero League;.
• "Mom" (8 p.m., CBS/Ch. 2): When Bonnie connects with a handsome stranger, Christy worries that she's jeopardizing her relationship with Adam.